Tuesday 17 January 2012

Day 9 - Dislocated Rib? Sissy stuff!

Yeah, that title is correct. I dislocated a rib today. But that was not going to stop me. Two ribs and I am done. One? Pfffft. Piece of cake. I was in a lot of discomfort all day, but I will get it fixed tomorrow. Not a good enough reason to miss my workout. (In all honesty, I experience this a few times a year. If it were my first time, I’d probably take the night off and be nursing myself.)

This morning I had a Pina Colada Visalus shake. VERY YUMMY!

Today’s workout was the first work out with my new inhaler.

5 minute walking warm up 
(It was wet and I was looking forward to the rain, but it already stopped by this time.)
6 intervals of 30 second run/1 minute walk (the last interval was 40 seconds run).
(30…THIRTY…THREE OH…THREE ZERO! That’s 10 seconds more each interval than Friday. I had an asthma attack after the 4th run, but I must say, this inhaler helped me recover a lot quicker. Caity was going to have me run for 8 intervals today, but cut it short due to the asthma and my rib. We took it inside after the run.)
25 travel squats (FIVE more than Friday!!! So proud of myself.  My balance and form were perfect!)
25 walking lunges (My balance during these blew my mind. The core strengthening exercises I’ve been doing have really been working!)
12 leg dead lifts (These were really good. They sure burn!)
20 Explosions (Pushed through at 18…last time I was pushing at 16 AND…AND I was actually jumping – in the air – feet off the ground. All the other times I was barely getting off the ground.  I never even noticed that until today.)
30 seconds running on the spot with my knees high (I was really pushing through all of this. I was so proud. I’ve never been able to do this with my knees coming up high each time.)
20 Jumping Jacks (Done with ease.  Coordination was excellent compared to Day 1.)12 Push Ups (Love these still – was doing them a fair bit faster.)
12 Tricep Push Ups (Was struggling through those for the last 3. Before I’d struggle for the last 6.)
Repeated the above 2X each.  (Except for the running with the knees up. My breathing was getting a little shallow again.)
24 Standing Oblique Crunches
Modified Leg drops (we had to modify the abs today on account of my rib injury)

20 second plank on toes and hands
Side planks with Leg Lifts / 20 seconds per side
Repeated the above 2X

I was definitely driven and determined today. I pushed hard. Still very frustrated with the asthma though.

 
What I recognized today:
-      The asthma is definitely an outdoor issue. I am somewhat determined, but mostly stubborn, to have a good run outside without my inhaler.  Or at least to continue running outdoors. I really prefer the outdoors.
-       I am able to see and feel the difference in my body physically with each workout
-       My balance really surprises me. Still have a lot of work in order to do the dead lifts with no support, but what a tremendous improvement each day
-       Thoroughly enjoy running! If it weren’t for the stupid asthma, we would have kept going for sure!
-       I don’t get as frustrated when we make modifications on the fly.  Now I realize that it is what it is. If I can’t do something due to asthma or injury and we modify it, it just means that I am doing something else to target the same muscles. It doesn’t mean that I am giving up.

Although I still cannot see myself running a 5K, let alone 1K, I do see myself being able to run for 1 minute solid.  Might not sound like too much, but it is double what I am doing now.  Besides, from couch to running in just 9 days? I’d say that’s pretty good! 

This evening I had a Visalus shake with fresh strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment