Wednesday 1 February 2012

Day 23 - Food Issues and RUNNING...wha...???

I woke up with a wicked craving today! It was BLT day in the cafeteria and that’s all I was thinking about as I was getting ready for work and on the drive in. I tried my usual thought process of “it’s not worth it, look at all the positive changes you’ve made” which usually works. The stubborn side of me was saying “go for it, what’s one bad thing?” I could taste the crispy bacon and the mayo. I was close to salivating. But even though my stubbornness was strong, I compromised with myself, which is actually a win-win no matter how it turns out. I told myself that I would have a shake for breakfast at 8:00 and then by 10:00 if I still wanted one, I’d go downstairs for the BLT. I thought I was clever knowing I’d be getting hungry by 10:00 and I’d get to have my BLT. Much to my own surprise, when 10:00 hit I no longer wanted the BLT. It would just make me feel blah anyway and knowing I could make healthier choices it would annoy me if I ate a BLT. What for? There are healthier and tastier things to choose from.

This morning I had my Visalus shake with instant coffee.

Today was another excruciatingly painful day at work. (If you don’t read my blog often, you probably don’t know that I fractured my tail bone a week ago Monday.) It makes me bitter that I am working in such pain at the office when I’d be way more comfortable and therefore more productive lying in bed and working from home. I mention that because I think the bitterness leads to my mood food cravings.

I was not going to work out because I have been in so much pain. I certainly don’t want to further injure myself and prolong this pain. However, after speaking with both a doctor and a chiropractor I was advised to go ahead and do whatever I can tolerate – including running!! WOOHOO! ONLY if I could tolerate it. They said that the movement would be good for all the muscles that are being seized up while I am trying to get comfortable at work.

Today’s workout was extremely encouraging and uplifting.

5 minute walking warm up  (I was eager to run from the start because I’ve been so dormant lately, but I was concerned too because I am in pain all the time and was afraid to run and make it worse.)

7 intervals of 30 seconds running/1 minute walking (You sure did read that right!! It felt BETTER to run. Oh sure, it still hurt, but it was less painful than walking, standing and sitting. We took a break and started to do some speed walking intervals because my breathing was getting funny and I started to panic slightly thinking it was going to be asthma. It never was. Today was +7 Celsius and the asthma was not an issue.)
1 interval of 30 seconds Speed walking/1 minute walking
1 interval of 30 seconds running/1 minute walking
1 interval of 30 seconds Speed walking/1 minute walking
1 interval of 30 seconds running/1 minute walking
1 interval of 30 seconds Speed walking/1 minute walking
1 interval of 30 seconds running/1 minute walking
3 intervals of 30 seconds Speed walking/1 minute walking

To sum that all up…10 total intervals of running and 4 total intervals of speed walking!!!!!!!

Cool down really hurt. It was much more pleasant to run.

It was difficult to find stretches that didn’t hurt. I know I did not stretch all the muscles that I should have, but it was just too painful.

This evening I had my Visalus shake with cranberry juice and strawberries.

I noticed after my shower that while I was still in a lot of pain, I was not in MORE pain. I really hope this won't make it worse for me tomorrow because I plan on doing cardio again in the evening. I started thinking about work and trying to sit at my desk and I started getting frustrated again. Lo and behold, I thought of waffle with fruit day. I am now convinced the “cravings” are mood food cravings as I suspected. I know that will be a struggle in the morning. I love waffles and fruit. However, their waffles are not a healthier type. So I will be arguing with myself again in the morning.

Then I thought of Whopper Wednesday at Burger King. Yeesh. I hope I’m in less pain tomorrow and therefore less bitter about being in the office in agony and in turn less likely to crave junk. I always win by having a Visalus shake and then feeling satisfied, but it can be a bit of a power struggle with myself. Bottom line…IT’S NOT WORTH IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment