Saturday 25 August 2012

Let's Talk About YOUR Why....

On Friday I woke with a sore hip. It felt like it “popped out”. I couldn’t stop laughing at myself in the day walking around like a frail old lady all limping and hunched a little. That evening I went to the Chiropractor. Unfortunately, he told me to avoid certain exercises…basically half of what I do in Circuit Training (he said for 1-2 weeks…I say we will see – 2 days at least).

Friday night we stumbled across an Auto Show. They closed down some major street and there were a few blocks of Antique Cars being displayed. That’s not usually my type of thing, but I was itching to move around, so we pulled over and spent a few hours walking up and down the streets looking at the cars.
I was home and in bed at an early 11PM. I’m really trying to stick to earlier bedtimes as much as possible. Being a night owl though, I have already decided that weekends don’t count. Ha ha!
This morning I decided to head to the gym. Even though I can only do half of the workout, it’s better than NOTHING!!!
I don’t know what is going on….or maybe I do. I did not want to be there once I arrived. I wanted to just go home. I’d start one of the exercises and then let my head think “this is hard, just do it with half of the effort”. But in the back of my head I heard Caity saying “your mind will give up well before your body will”. She’s totally correct with that by the way! I pushed through and forced myself to give it my all and over power my own mind. After the workout, I felt AMAZING. I do totally love that feeling. It’s as if my body is singing and dancing and thanking me for doing something terrific.  I think I know what is going on with me wanting to quit. For one, I am my own worst enemy. As happy-go-lucky as I am, I do have negative thoughts: “I will never do this”, “I am not strong enough”, “I’m just a lazy person”, etc. Secondly, I really, really, really miss working out with Caity. I am not a gym person at all. It’s not for me. I loved working out outside and using my own body as resistance. I felt the best after working out with Caity. I think having her company during the workouts was a big bonus too. That’s NOT an excuse. I still love how I feel after the workout and will still continue to do my circuit training too. I was just making the observation.
After the workout I have a Visalus Vi-Shake mixed with Chocolate Mix-In. Yesterday, both of my Shakes were mixed with Instant Coffee and a Chocolate Mix-In.
This week I have felt incredible all over. I also noticed that my skin is not nearly as dry. I’d like to think that it is the increase in water intake as I know that is good for your skin, but I am still not drinking as much as I should….a LOT more than usual…but not nearly as much as I should be. Maybe it’s the combination of the Vi-Pak?? I really don’t know. All I know is that I feel amazing. If I could bottle my happiness and sell it, I’d be a billionaire.
When I came back from my workout today, I didn’t feel like making my shake. I just wanted to “grab something” on the go. But I have my goals and I made one. It made me shake my head again – honestly folks, it takes seconds to make a Shake. It tastes great and is so much healthier than anything I would have grabbed.
I think having a true “why” also keeps me on track. Having a solid reason for why you want to be healthier makes a lot of difference.
I’ve heard people say “I really should take care of myself better”….but WHY??? If there is no “why”, there is no drive. Be sure to make your “why” about YOU and only YOU.
Here are some examples of how one can change some typical “whys” into personal “whys”:
- I am doing this so my partner finds me more attractive….change to…I am doing this so I feel sexier and more confident
- I want to be around for me kids…change to…I am doing this to be able to participate in activities with the kids and teach them about good health and fitness
- I am doing this to fit back into my ____...change to….I felt amazing when I wore that ____ and I am doing this to feel that amazing feeling again
The “whys” are similar, but with more ownership. Own your reason. Never change yourself or your lifestyle to suit others. Do it for yourself. You will be happier for it and will likely succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment